Does a Do it Yourself Solar Energy Install Make Sense?
What does it depend on? You! Installing clean energy systems such as solar photovoltaic (electricity), solar hot water (thermal) or small scale wind requires trade skills and in general working with electricity is dangerous. Depending on your trade skills, there is a learning curve to installation, and on your first self install, expect to make mistakes that will cost you in time and money.
Depending on how many mistakes you make the end cost of installing a clean energy system could be a rewarding experience because you not only save a lot of money, but you’ll be the master of your system. Questions you may want to ask yourself before you self install?
- Am I afraid of heights? (if so, consider a ground mount system)
- Am I comfortable working with electricity?
- Do I have room for mistakes in the budget?
- Does the company I am purchasing the products from offer installation consulting / support?
- Should I buy a turn key system?
- Do I know how to use a compass?